Location : Hanoi, VIETNAM
Application Deadline: 1 May 2010
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Languages Required: Vietnamese, English
Starting Date: 15 May 2010
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 Months
In the framework of West Pacific East Asia Oceanic Fisheries Management, some activities relating to (i) review of policy and institutional arrangements for oceanic fisheries management, (ii) review of institutional arrangements, (iii) strategy to support national reform will be implemented. These activities are to strengthen national laws, policies and institutions, to implement applicable global and regional instruments for adopting with international and regional requirements in Vietnam’s tuna fisheries management. In order to implement the above activities and provision of very important outcomes of the project, a local legal and policy consultant will be recruited to work as local consultant on legal, policy and institutional reform issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Project Management Unit, and the Netherlands and WCPFC’s experts. The National Legal Consultant will be responsible for matters of legal, policy and institutional reform in the tuna fisheries management in order to adopt with WCPFC and international organization’s requirements.
Main responsibilities of the national legal consultant are:
- Review and produce a checklist of shortcoming of legal, policy and institutional arrangements for tuna fisheries management in Vietnam in order to comply with WCPFC’s instruments.
- Review of policy and legal arrangements for WCPFC-related matters for tuna fisheries management.
- Review and recommendation of existing national tuna fisheries management structures to enable full and effective participation of the relevant institutions in the WCPFC Commission.
- Identify reform necessary to existing arrangement.
Summary of specific duties
- Ensures effective review of legal, policy and institutional arrangements on the Vietnam tuna fisheries management.
- Prepare national reports relating to legal and policy issues as required from the project and WCPFC.
- Participate on Policy, Legal and Institutional Workshop (PLIWS) which will be convened in June 2010.
- Prepare the provisional agenda for PLIWS in June 2010.
- Prepare a report on review of legal, policy and institutional arrangements for Vietnam’s tuna fisheries management which will be delivered and presented on the workshop.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Legal and Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5 year or higher of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing legal and management advisory services.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Vietnamese.